Saturday, January 22, 2011

princesses, cake and a mind freak moment


One of my good friends, M, had a birthday party for her daughter today. Her birthday was actually in September, but we celebrated in January because, well, we did. We celebrated M's birthday in September, and it's actually in November, so I'm thinking she just likes to mix things up ;) Anyhoo, she had a princess tea party and the Fin and I had a ton of fun getting her ready this morning. She picked out her favorite princess dress, we curled her hair, put on make up, even some glitter. Don't worry, I didn't go overboard. See??
You can't even tell she's wearing any makeup, but she certainly felt special. And yes, it's winter and she's wearing tiny straps. I did make her wear a cardigan but she refused to keep it on. It covered up her beautiful dress, and we just can't have that!
I also made the mistake of asking her what I should wear. Um, yeah, we ended up compromising and I wore a tea length black dress with strappy heels. In January. It was snowing during the party. I was a bit cold, but she thought it was great, so whatever. I would insert my picture here, but I was behind the camera. But believe me, there were princesses:

I took another shot at cake decorating and had way too much fun playing with fondant. I made a few flowers, then polka dots:
And then some more flowers, until I didn't know what to do with them, so they just kind of landed on this cake:
And around the cake:


Working with marshmallow fondant is super fun. It's like play-doh, but it tastes better. And you don't get those strange looks when you eat it. Not that anyone was watching me in my kitchen at midnight, but you know what I mean.

And here's for the mindfreak moment. I'm new to blogging and haven't really invested much research or time into it because, really, I don't have a ton of time to spare in this season of my life, but I see alot of people with cute signatures after their posts, so I decided to grab one. Here it is:
See? Cute, right? Well, I made it at this website where you type in your name and it brings up a hundred different signatures and you just right click and save. Well, you know when you look at a word too hard and it starts to look funny. A simple word like "and". And you begin to second guess yourself. Is "and" really spelled A-N-D?? How else would it be spelled?? But if that's right, why does it look so weird. You find yourself sounding out one of the first words you learned to spell. You know, back in KINDERGARTEN!! Anyhow, I had that mindfreak moment with my own name today. Yep, my. own. name. Ryanne. RYANNE. R-Y-A-N-N-E. The frustrating part is my name isn't spelled like it sounds (it's just "RYAN") so I was seriously weirding out for a minute. I checked my government issued IDs. It's Ryanne. We're good.
Hope y'all are having a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Your cake looks amazing! As always I'm in awe of your talents. Sooooooo I actually pulled my sewing machine out of the closet. I think by next week I might have actually turned it on. I'm feeling it. :) And this friend who can't celebrate birthdays in the right month... I'm intrigued by her. :) I miss you!

    p.s. Of course, I laughed the whole through this post. I love that YOU come out in your writing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake is adorable! You have some talent woman! :) Keep up the blogging.. I enjoy reading and getting ideas!

    ReplyDelete