Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MUST LEARN TO RUN LIKE A VIKING.

Sooooo, P90X is an awesome workout. Seriously. The first week I was so sore I could hardly lift my arms to wash my hair, and my legs and ribs and abs ached. It hurt so good. BUT, I'm struggling. I am. The workouts are long. Real long. The sheer duration of the yoga makes me irritable. And two weeks of listening to Tony made me want to quit. So by the time the second yoga day rolled around, I had the strangest thought: I just felt like running. This is only strange if you know me. I have an aversion to running. Even in the best shape of my life, when I'd go rollerblading on the 7+ mile path at Bear Creek park just for fun, I couldn't run a mile. It's never appealed to me in the slightest. However, it appears that I may hate spending an hour and a half doing yoga with Tony even more. I found myself actually WANTING to run. It could also have something to do with the screaming kids that call me mom (that I love beyond words of course). Just the idea of escaping for a few minutes and have some quiet time to myself is very appealing. So anyhow I've been out running 4 times in the past week and a half, and 3 of the 4 runs I RAN THE WHOLE WAY WITHOUT STOPPING!! We're talking an entire mile, folks. Oh, yeah. I'm big time. I've never done this before in my entire life. Believe it. Pathetic? yup. Am I super proud? yup. The first time I did it, I walked in the house and Shannon looked a little taken away. Like "what the heck did you just do???" I looked like I had just ran about a million miles.

This is not a joke. That's me ridiculously sweaty. This is what happens when I run a whole mile. My body apparently freaks out- completely freaks out, and it cries. I don't sweat. My body just cries. Like a hysterical sobbing baby.
My girlfriend, Heather, who is awesome btw, was a personal trainer before she started staying at home with the kiddos. She has decided it would be a good idea to teach me how to run and train with me. This should be hilarious. I can't wait until she decides I'm just too pathetic to continue, but until then, I'm all for it. 
I'm in the process of finding a rental cabin in Mountain City, GA for the 2011 Warrior Dash- WOOT! (http://www.warriordash.com/register2010_southeast.php)
My mom called me up one day and told me about her friend Dora (who is also pretty awesome) and Dora's plans to participate in Warrior Dash in Dallas. She told me to check it out because it looked like something Shannon would be into. I looked it up, and found the event nearest to where we live. The map looked sooooooo familiar. Then I saw the location: MOUNTAIN CITY, GA. Population 829. Location of Blue Ridge Camp where I was a camp counselor a few summers during college. Not just the same town as this camp, but AT THE CAMP. Seriously- lake where I lifeguarded for 3 summers...Yeah, part of the course. This camp was the beginning of my love affair with that part of the country- where Shannon and I plan on retiring and living forever and ever, amen. HOW RANDOM IS THAT????  Now I HAVE TO participate. And it looks soooooooo awesome. How could you look at pictures like this and not want to participate??!?!?!
No? Not convinced?? Okay, maybe these will help. Note the costumes. Who doesn't LOVE to dress up in idiotic costumes?!? This may be the most difficult part of preparing for this event. Picking out what I'm going to wear... 



Um, and you know how much I like a competition. They give out awards. Trophies. Check it out!!!!!!!

Yeah, so obviously, I'm thinking this is soooooo fun. But it's like over 3 miles. I need to be able to run 3 miles to participate. So here we go. MUST LEARN TO RUN LIKE A VIKING. 

Anyhow, so I'm totally looking forward to this event ♥ Anybody want to join us?


2 comments:

  1. We're about to book our heat and have selected our theme. I'm not supposed to tell you what it is, but I'm going to be purchasing an insane amount of body paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!! I'm glad y'all are dressing up. Now Shannon will be more on board :)

    ReplyDelete