Thursday, September 9, 2010

I put my blood, sweat and tears into my art. hehehe, just kidding. Only the blood part is true.

Yes, seriously. Blood. It looks all sweet and innocent, right. A sweet little fabric heart in a card. A cheery little hello. A thank you perhaps. Wait. Wait a minute!

Is that? No.... Yes, that's blood! Yep, I totally just bled on my card I made for you. Hope you love it anyway :) It wiped up pretty well. Would it be weird for me to still send this to someone? Prollly, huh? Durn!

Aside from the bleeding, I quite like this little craft. If you DARE, you can make one, too!


Start with a blank card- you can get a bundle of 25 cards and envelopes at Michael's for like $5. Use your 40% coupon and you're walking out of there paying like 12 cents per card/envelope. AWESOME. Trace a heart on your card and get to cutting! Grab some scraps of fabric and a some extra cardstock. You need the cardstock to create a finished look on the back. Cut your cardstock down to the size of the front of your card- trim a little extra off the bottom because, well, because you need to. Stop arguing, just follow along! Glue your fabric down to the extra piece of cardstock.
And then glue the cardstock to the backside of the card front:



Give it a second to dry and then stitch around the edges and tie it off to complete your card.


TADAA! Wait, hold off on the Tadaa... This is the part where it can get bloody. From now on, I'll be using an awl. That's right, and AWWWWWL. It's a glorified ice pick. I'll be pre-poking my holes and possibly using a thimble. Punching through two pieces of card stock and fabric with a little needle and embroidery floss (which is difficult to thread through the little needle BTW) is no piece of cake, my friends. Maybe I'll machine stitch these going forward now that I think about it, but I like the hand made look of these...  Hmmm, decisions, decisions....
Make your own decisions and go make me a card. I look forward to receiving some lovely mail :)

2 comments:

  1. The way I would pre-poke the holes is this...because I already have this stuff hanging around the house. Do you have a cutting mat? You know what I'm talking about...the blue mats with the graph on it to help you cut fabric? If you do...put it down on your work surface. Grab a finishing nail and a light weight household hammer. Anyway...mark where you want your holes...that way they're pretty even. Then just tap the finishing nail through the paper. Done...just don't hit your thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, yeah- that would work! Now go make one and mail it to me ;)

    ReplyDelete