Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 15- Baking my socks off

When faced with a choice like Chocolate Chip Scones or White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies, a pretty sure way to tackle the decision is to avoid it all together and make both. Day 15: You guessed it, Chocolate Chip Scones AND White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies! Woot! 


We'll start with the scones...


I never liked scones. I had only ever tried a bite here or there of my husband's Starbucks or Panera Bread purchase, and was NOT impressed. Crazy Brits- what do they know about food anyway? Right? Right. Pshsh, we didn't fight for our freedom for nothing. Pretty sure it had something to do with them forcing their scones on us... or taxes, whatever. Anyhow, one morning I was running late for playgroup- Wyatt was brand new and I hadn't figured out how to get ready and out of the house with 2 babies (because I have that TOTALLY figured out now! Ha!). I forgot to feed myself. It happens. When I got to Melea's house, she had scones out for us. Nice, but blah! But I was starving! So, I had one. And another. And another, etc. In the following couple of weeks, I checked out the bakery at Target- no chocolate chip scones. Walmart- nope. HEB, surely, this is where I'll find them- HEB, no. Dang it, Melea! I sent her an email asking where she got them, and she said she made them! What?? Did you pick up on the inflection in my voice? Picture me snapping my fingers and waving them in front of me simultaneously. Okay, that was not a good description and now you're envisioning me looking quite spastic. Holy cow, Sanae. I'm totally spastic. I was confused about scones. Why do people eat them? This is something people make from scratch? Why do I need to have more? She asked which- the cinnamon or the chocolate chip, said she probably wouldn't make the chocolate chip again (what???). I told her the chocolate chip of course (what's wrong with her taste buds?) She sent me the recipe and I've made them at least 10 times since then. I feel fancy making scones. Anybody can make cookies, but scones! Wow. It's like the real food equivalent of asparagus. It's not hard to prepare, but it just seems like it for some reason. Maybe it's just me. Anyhow- go ahead. Go feel fancy. Here's the recipe: 


Chocolate Chip Scones from Sweet & Simple Cookbook by Gooseberry Patch

2 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chilled butter
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Toss in chocolate chips.  Mix in egg and milk; stir until just moistened.  Form dough into a ball; knead for 10 strokes.  Pat into a 8-inch circle; cut into 6 wedges.  Space each wedge about one inch apart on a greased baking sheet; bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes.  Remove to wire rack to cool; drizzle with icing.  Makes 6 servings.

Icing:

1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs milk

Whisk together until smooth and creamy. Pour/scoop icing into a plastic bag- freezer bag works better because they're stronger. Snip the tip of a bottom corner and use this to zig zag the icing over your scones. Awwww, so pretty. And delicious. 



Now the White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies are pretty fantastic, too. Don't be all snobby and snub the cookies just because you're making scones now. When I offered people these cookies at Sunday School the other weekend, nobody was all that interested. And then they came back for seconds. They really are delicious. This is just a variation I did on the Quaker Oats "Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies" recipe that is on the inside of the lid of the old fashioned oats container. Delete the raisins, add white chocolate chips, craisins, and delete the cinnamon. Because really, cinnamon and craisins? Um, not so much. Give them a try! Sweet pepper says, "Dooooooooooooo it." 
White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker Oats (old-fashioned)
1 cup Craisins and white chocolate chips 

Heat oven to 350°F.
Beat together butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; stir together until no streaks remain.
Stir this into the butter mixture. Stir in oats and Craisins and chips; mix well.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.
Makes about 4 dozen.
OR
You could just invite me over and I'll bring you a hostess gift: 
Cowboy cookie post to follow...

1 comment: